Introduction
A few decades ago C. S. Lewis wrote a pretty radical book called, “Mere Christianity.” In it, he makes a very good point. That it’s not about Christianity and vegetarianism or Christianity and submersion baptism, etc. it’s just about Christ.
The Apostle Paul, who is perhaps our major source for explaining what is and is not Christian, made an ironically similar comment. In Corinthians 2:2 he wrote, “I came unto you determined to know nothing, but Jesus Christ and Him Crucified.” The purpose of this site is to strip away the walls of denominationalism, or culture and let people of radically differing ideas rest a bit. I’m going to invite a few friends to post here with the intention opening it up as a moderated forum in a few weeks. Our goal is to inspire each other and the occasional visitor with pure, simple intimacy with God.
These are my belief statements, there is only 2 in keeping with the theme of this site.
My belief statements:
- That everyone sins and falls short of what God intended for them.
- That Jesus Christ is the son of God, born human, and though he lived without sin he died to pay the price for our sin.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Goals are over-rated!
What do I mean when I say goals are over-rated? Well, I'm not saying that they are detrimental. Some people have given the word "goal" a definition that included some value and then made huge progress by setting goals. I won't deny that. But I'm going to argue that I can rephrase the definition of the word "goal," to exclude those positive aspects. I think we can get those benefits elsewhere without the the negatives inherent to goal setting.
I've found most of the times I've set goals it turned into a list of things to fail at. I would write things like lose five pounds. Well why would I write that? I'm probably a good 50 pounds overweight. What I really want is to be healthy. So why not make that a goal? Well a goal needs to be quantifiable, and something I deem achievable. If the net effect of my life so far has been to teach me that I can't achieve things, or that I'm unworthy of getting the things I want, then it doesn't matter if I set a goal I won't get anywhere. The goal only works to track my next failed attempt. It can reinforce my feeling of being trapped.
Goal setting is limited to what I think I want. I know anorexics who achieve my five pound weight loss goal on a regular basis. And we are always swimming against the current because the nature of a goal is to take you from where (who) you are to where (who) you aren't.
Vision on the other hand, is far more sophisticated at helping us make positive change. Starting with an assessment of where we are, the good and the bad, you can begin to search inside for what you really want. As the picture of who you really are becomes more clear you can go about the work of ditching the things that aren't you.
If I can envision myself healthy, in vivid detail, I will continue to do the healthy things that will cause me to loose first the five pounds and later the rest of the weight. Clear vision also enables me to excite other people who care about me to help.
More late...
No comments:
Post a Comment